I remember as a child, I was not fascinated by toys and dolls. However, there are some toys that appeal to everyone, irrespective of the age and gender.
If there is one toy in my daughter´s collection that I stealthily steal and play with, it is the Kaleidoscope. I have to admit sheepishly that I still find it wondrous and fascinating. There is something very magical and soothing about the Kaleidoscope.
Yes, Life seems colourful and beautiful again after my playtime with this underrated gem. And, there is so much to learn from this toy.
- Surround yourself with Lighters - Just like the Kaleidoscope, your Life will dazzle only when you surround yourself with Light. There are people who work as Extinguishers and people who work as Lighters in your life. The former will only bring darkness and misery in your life. They are not your well-wishers or friends even if they belong to your family. All they do is extinguish your joy, spark and all the nice things that make you, ýou´. No matter what do or don´t do, all they will do find fault with you. All they see is flaws and they will make no stone unturned to let you know them. Worse still, remind you all over again your flaws, like a stuck broken tape-recorder. And there are people who simply light up your life with their sheer presence, warmth, words, comfort, support and love. Go where the Light and Love is! Surround yourself with Lighters who bring you alive and sparkling again. Especially when your chips are down and nothing is going your way, you need them more than ever before. Just talking to them will make your spirit alive. Note down and save all the compliments and positive words that your Lighters tell you. Let that be your brag list. Read them when you start to doubt yourself. Very recently, I had compliments from students that I have save for future read. Why not! Who doesn't need some sparkle and glitter in their lives to feel alive again? Also, be a Lighter yourself. If you have the power to make someone else happy, by all means, do so.
- Indulge in Slow Living - The beauty of the Kaleidoscope can be enjoyed only when you turn it slowly and gently. You have to wait patiently for all the pieces to fall under the light and come together to make one breathtakingly beautiful striking pattern. Much like Life itself! If you think Life is to gulped in hasten existence bogged down in mindless existence and routine, you are missing out on the very essence of it. Life is to savoured and relished - the good, the bad and the ugly. You have to fall down if you want to rise up. And you have to rise up, if you want to go down on a thrilling free fall. While it is important to reach your desired destination, it is equally important to enjoy the sights of trail journey as well as the pitstops. Who wants to miss out on ´Life´ and its tiny, real, precious treasures such as smelling the roses, waking up to the strong whiff of Coffee and a tiny, soft squishy bum on your face.
- The more the merrier - I remember this quaint toy store in Cedarburg, Wisconsin where we bought one Kaleidoscope. But, the beauty about that Kaleidoscope was that you can create your own design. You decide what components go into your Kaleidoscope. My daughter and I had a great time deciding which little knick-knacks need to go into ours. What we discovered in this fun process was that the more, the merrier. Truly! Similarly, in life, you more people you meet and have in your life, Life becomes merrier and interesting.
- Embrace Diversity - Following the same story as above, it is not just the quantity but also the diversity of the components that matter. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Pink, Purple, Black. Sequins, Beads, Buttons, Threads, Glitter. When they all fall and roll in together, they make one stunning pattern. Each and every single time! Life is a lot like that. Imagine a world where everyone looked the same, spoke the same, ate the same and had one single belief system. Boring right? What makes this world colorful, interesting and fun is the diversity!
- Live ´Carpe Diem´ - There is no point in just being a spectator. Jump, participate, roll in the madness. Mix with people. Shake up that routine in your life once in a while. Stir it up with some randomness, weirdness and change. Take each day as it comes. Make the most of it. Live life to its fullest.
- Reflect Beauty - What we see in the Kaleidoscope is a reflection of the components. Let our thoughts and words reflect on our face. Beauty is skin deep. What you are inside, shows on the outside. Reflect positivity and true beauty. Make this world a better place to live in.