Saturday, April 22

S is for Silence #AtoZChallenge


I have always wondered why is Silence considered golden. As a child, I was quiet and kept to myself most of the time. I read a lot of books and my friends were a select few. Surprisingly, this worked in my favour as I stayed out of a lot of trouble, was liked by everyone and was always a popular choice amongst my school mates for the house or class leader. I was also favoured by  the teachers as I was good in both studies as well as extra-curricular activities.

A lot has changed ever since. Today, I love being among people just as much as I love my own company. I like making small silly talk with no real purpose as well as deep thought-provoking conversations. I loved my stay in America mainly due to the chance to interact with different nationalities and races. It was fascinating to see how similar we all were covertly despite the overt differences.

I have also taken a step further from reading to write on social media platforms now. And when one is a writer, one cannot afford to be silent. So, how is Silence exactly golden from a writer´s point of perspective? I guess the answer lies in the rumination of ideas, stories and concepts. One needs Silence to observe, ideate and even, actually write. As a writer, you play the dual roles of a listener or observer before you get to the point of putting down your thoughts on paper and then the role of a fearless loud speaker when you actually write.

Yes, the classic case of the ´Silence before the Storm´as they say!

I have learnt over the years how Silence can be both beautiful as well as ugly depending on the situation.

I love the silence that comes accompanying the night, the insides of a church or temple, white winter days, true lovers and more.

And, there are times when Silence can be defeaning. Like being ignored by someone..you know being given the ´Silent Treatment´can be brutally painful for even the strongest of souls. When keeping dumb while undergoing abuse and violence out of fear. When staying quiet against injustice around. Then, the Silence is ugly.

Of course, there are times when I have discovered that some battles and arguments are worth fighting for, while some are not. I wished at times I was not dragged into an ugly argument by an angry person and instead of retaliating back in the same coin, I had stayed silent and just walked away. Some people are just not worth your words and presence.

Silence is a language in itself. Perhaps the loudest and most beautiful of them all out there!

#AtoZChallenge 

2 comments:

Pikakshi Manchanda said...

I loved your ending note, and I totally agree with it. Silence is a language in itself. Being on the end of silence treatment is just so hurtful, while many times I have also been the one who is silent, choosing not to let my emotions get away from me by reacting to a situation. Thanks for sharing!!

Social Stigmas are a bane for our societies.Lets not give in.

Regards,
Pikakshi
Readers of the Night

Tina Sequeira said...

Hi Pikakshi! A warm welcome to my blog first! It is your first time in here. Silent treatment is an invisible but frightful form of abuse. It can unnerve anyone who is not prepared to handle it well. But, once you recognise it, you can tackle that effectively as well. Silence is beautiful and deadly as well...two sides of the same coin..like love and hate! So glad to read your thoughts on the same. Keep visiting, my friend! Love and Cheers!

125x125 Ads1

Recent Posts

As real n true as one can be...A pot-pourri of my day-to-day affairs..Of both my real-life troopers n bloopers alike....My very own tales.